Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:27:53 -0700
From:      GoodleafJ@immunex.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT question -- Books on OS basics

For personal reasons, I'm interested in learning about operating systems
from a theoretical perspective. Here's the thing:

 - I don't have a background in computer science.
 - I need something basic.
 - Please recommend something if you know of a good book(s).

I'm prepared to accept the possibility that there is no basic book on
operating systems accessible to a reasonably computer-saavy person with no
CS background. In this case, can you suggest an intro to CS that might give
me a background from which to proceed?

In short, I'd like to get up to speed, and I'm willing to do any amount of
reading; I just want the shortest path first, so to speak.

Thanks for your time,
John