Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:17:22 +0200
From:      Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Increasing both NBUF and NMBCLUSTERS leads to panics (solved)

I wrote:

>Besides increasing the NBUF parameter I also want to increase
>NMBCLUSTERS of course because the machine will handle quite some network
>traffic. But for some reason increasing both NBUF and NMBCLUSTERS only
>leads to panics :-(.

Based on some reactions I got I took the following 4.0-current changes and
ported them to 3.1-stable:

    dg          1999/03/11 10:28:47 PST

      Modified files:
	sys/i386/conf        Makefile.i386 kernel.script
	sys/i386/include     pmap.h
      Log:
      Increased kernel virtual address space to 1GB. NOTE: You MUST have fixed
      bootblocks in order to boot the kernel after this! Also note that this
      change breaks BSDI BSD/OS compatibility.
      Also increased default NKPT to 17 so that FreeBSD can boot on machines
      with >=2GB of RAM. Booting on machines with exactly 4GB requires other
      patches, not included.

      Revision  Changes    Path
      1.141     +2 -2      src/sys/i386/conf/Makefile.i386
      1.2       +1 -1      src/sys/i386/conf/kernel.script
      1.59      +4 -4      src/sys/i386/include/pmap.h

    tegge       1999/02/15 09:36:59 PST

      Modified files:
	sys/boot/common      load_elf.c
      Log:
      Enable load of i386 ELF kernels with larger KVA range (e.g. starting
    at
      0xe0100000u or 0xc0100000u instead of the usual 0xf0100000u).

      Revision  Changes    Path
      1.11      +2 -2      src/sys/boot/common/load_elf.c

After recompiling the kernel and recompiling/reinstalling the bootblocks
I was able to load a kernel with increased NBUF and NMBCLUSTERS
settings.

I was going to suggest that these changes be merged in 3.1-stable but I
just saw that Peter Wemm merged the load_elf.c change today. I suppose
we'll see a 'HEADS UP' warning on freebsd-stable and in the UPDATING
file somewhere in the future urging everybody to recompile and install
their bootblocks after which the other change can be merged (I thought
the BSD/OS compatibility was fixed somewhere else already).

Thank you all for your suggestions and remarks.

Arjan