Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:49:56 -0600
From:      jogorman@worldmediaco.com (WMC, O'Gorman, James)
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: src/UPDATING for RELENG_3 to RELENG_4 upgrade works.

Andrew Reilly wrote:

> I just thought I'd drop a thank-you note to the relevant gurus.
> Previous major-number upgrades I've done have always been by binary
> installation of the base distribution, but this time (mostly on
> the strength of Jordan's enthusiasm) I thought I'd give the source
> upgrade route a go.  I cvsupped RELENG_4 (and the internat crypto
> stuff), and followed the directions in UPDATING.  Everything seems
> to have gone beautifully.  Even the switch from wd to ad drives.

I have to second that. I upgraded last night as well, and really I do
not see what all the fuss is about. I first installed a new GENERIC and
booted off that, then when that was done, I installed my custom kernel.
Things went great. And there is alot of improvment, boot times are great
now.

The one and only problem that I have had that I have not fixed yet is
with xdm. I had started it from rc.local before, but now when rc.local
starts is, the keyboard will not interact with it. If I comment out that
line, boot up normal and log in as root and then start xdm things are
fine. I have not put any effort into fixing it yet, so I am sure it is
something simple I am missing.

All in all, I have thank all members of the FreeBSD team for making a
upgrade via-source path that is quick, painless and works. Great job.

Jim