Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:31:59 -0800
From:      "Stephan R. Hecker" <bebest@es.com.sv>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions (technical and non-technical)

To the FreeBSD Organization,
I hope I can find here the information I need. I want to ask some
questions about FreeBSD. I am new to this operating system. I already
have it (not yet installed).

1. Is FreeBSD a Unix-based Operating System?
If it is..
  a. For what is Unix specially designed (Networking? Internet?)?

2. What is the difference between the X Consortium's X-Window and
XFree86 (not including that XFree86 is a portation to the PC)?

3. Where can I get Unix SYSTEM V Release 4 (or higher)? This doesn't
mean that I am not interested in your operating system.

4. Is FreeBSD the same as BSD/386?
If it isn't...
   a. Is it compatible?

TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

1. Do the bin (bin.xx) files include the whole operating system, or just
the kernel? Do they include XFree86?

2. When I installed (or tried to) FreeBSD, as I already have another
operating system installed (non-Unix), I had to divide my partition with
the
FIPS program. When I had already created the FreeBSD partition (with
'Novice'
installation), and I was already at the beginning of the real
installation (where I am asked if I am sure that I want to continue), I
put OK, and the machine said that the 'usr/' and 'var/' were not found.
The description I gve may be more or less correct. I couln't get an
exact definition of the problem, since I would have to go through all
the installation again.
What could have happened here? How can I fix this without destroying the
information in my first partition?
(I use a floppy installation - with 12 disks of bin.xx files and one
installation disk - FreeBSD Release 2.1.6).

3. Is it impossible to merge the partition I created (after an
unsuccessful installation) with the first partition (the one that
contains all my data)?

4. Won't I have to buy a new hard disk for FreeBSD?

Please, I hope you answer my questions. It is very (I mean VERY)
difficult to find any information about Unix-based OS. I will thank you
for the help. This information may even help other users.

Stephan R. Hecker