Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:43:29 -0400
From:      Jason Stephenson <jjas@engr.uky.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Syncing Handspring Visor over USB

I've tried both of the following with coldsync:

coldsync -t usb -p /dev/ugen0 -l sync.log -mI
coldsync -t usb -p /dev/ugen0 -l sync.log -mb palmstuff

both as root and as my regular user account. I've chmod'd both /dev/ugen0 and
/dev/ugen0.2 0666, and I've made sure that all of the USB devices are
compiled into my kernel.

Regardless of which user I run it as or which command I try above, I get the
following in my sync.log:

Log started on Tue Sep  4 11:33:50 2001
usb read: Input/output error
slp_read: read: Input/output error
Error during cmp_read: (1) Error in system call or library function.
Error: Can't connect to Palm.

Log closed on Tue Sep  4 11:34:08 2001

If I try the other USB port on the back of the machine, I get a different
error:

Log started on Tue Sep  4 11:35:51 2001
pconn_usb_open: Can't open USB device.
open: Bad file descriptor
Error: Can't open connection.

Log closed on Tue Sep  4 11:36:22 2001

I assume that's because ugen0 is the "1st" USB port.

Here's the output of uname -a, if that's also helpful:

FreeBSD blackbird.ecc.engr.uky.edu 4.3-RELEASE-p14 FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE-p14
#1: Thu Aug 23 16:38:51 EDT 2001
root@blackbird.ecc.engr.uky.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLACKBIRD  i386

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any help would be helpful, and greatly
appreciated. :-)

--
Jason Stephenson    UNIX Administrator
University of Kentucky College of Engineering Computing Services