Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 17:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        Dev Chanchani <dev@trifecta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Boot

> I was wondering if anyone could help me boot the kernel to
> another kernel besides /kernel, ie, /kernel.bak or /kernel.generic?

At the Boot: prompt (when you're rebooting) type in the filename. Be
quick or it'll default to /kernel. You can also specify options, like
/kernel -c (to configure devices) or /kernel -s (to boot single-user).

I think some binaries expect /kernel to be the running kernel, and if you
reboot you'll go back to /kernel, so anything else should only be used on
a temporary basis.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |