Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:22:55 +0100
From:      Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop. (HP, Compaq, or Gateway)

parv@pair.com writes:
> Reading rest of the paragraph shows that you meant to say that SuSe is
> actually worse (in comparison to FreeBSD or Windows).

AFAICT, both linux (suse and debian) and freebsd seem to be a little
hit-and-miss. What works fine on one laptop may not work on the next. I
sense the smell of BIOS bugs... maybe freebsd is better than suse, but
maybe BIOS bugs are the dominant factor. Frustrating.

Anyway, if you can get a chance to try an install and like laptops that
have low weight, long battery lifetime, lots of connectivity options
and no clutter, I highly recommend the small Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebooks.
If it works, it works very well, except for swapping between CD/DVD and
battery in the second bay. Doesn't bother me, I never use either
floppies, CDs nor DVDs.

Arnt
(typing on an old E6010)