Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 23:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        wes@intele.net
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeBox (was Re: Nerd Talk)

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 wes@intele.net wrote:

> So how come no discussion yet of "FreeBeSD?"  Pun intended, of course.
> At the very least, we could use the second processor for executing
> threads, even if BSD doesn't yet support SMP.

Actually, FreeBSD does support SMP, although I believe it hasn't been
integrated into the main source tree yet.  With a dual-Pentium you can
compile the GENERIC kernel in under 3 minutes (using make -j).  And yes,
the BeBox runs Linux, so I imagine enterprising people WILL port FreeBSD
or NetBSD to it.  But if I'm going to run FreeBSD, again, why not just use
my PC?  I wanted to try out a new OS, in combination with new hardware.
After all, UNIX, in spite of being cool, just can't succeed on the desktop
(too incomprehensible to the average user), and BeOS makes concessions to
UNIX geeks like me by bundling "bash" as the shell and a bunch of other GNU
utilities.  So you can have it both ways...

---Jake