Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:28:04 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux VM : forky?

Giorgos Keramidas said on Oct 30, 2001 at 05:19:23:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:20:25PM -0800, Bzdik BSD wrote:
> >
> > http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1436/byt20011024s0002/1029_moshe.html
>
> Spreading FUD? :P
>
> Linux has not forked when other debates ragged for long either.
> It is very unlikely it will now.

One could argue that linux has forked many times.  Presently, Linus
does one set of releases, while Alan Cox does another (which are
supposed to be more "bleeding edge" but many apparently prefer to run
those).  Several others maintain their own trees too.  In addition,
every distributor releases a customised kernel which is not a
"vanilla" Linus kernel at all.  And ports to other architecture
(PowerPC, etc) tend to diverge a lot from Linus's tree.  It looks to
me like Linus remains a sort of focal point, and while all the various
forks try to stay somewhat in sync with him and will not want to
diverge too far, I think they are forks nonetheless, by any
definition.

In particular, the current VM situation looks like a fork, in effect,
already.  Whether there will be a re-merging remains to be seen...

This proliferation of forks and patches is really a problem with
linux.  If you want a cool feature from somewhere, and another cool
feature from somewhere else, chances are quite high that the patches
will conflict... this was possible even 2 years ago, which was the
last time I played with linux kernel patches etc (since then I've
stuck with FreeBSD like a good boy), but has apparently become a lot
worse now.

Rahul