Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2019 18:07:50 +0100
From:      Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need X-server to run in bhyve guest

On Sun, Dec 08, 2019 at 06:23:16PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > >
> > > Now I'd like to concentrate on the question how to start a graphical
> > > desktop environment in a bhyve guest.
> >
> > Ok, found the issue, or atleast a work around... scfb is not probing correctly,
> > so create:
> > 	/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-scfb.conf
> > With this in it:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >      Identifier    "Card0"
> >      Driver        "scfb"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Your x11 should then work fine....  I tested with xfce
>
> Great, it works! I confirm it working with xfce and gdm (from gnome3).
>
> Had to set xhci_mouse="no", which means that the mouse pointer in the VM
> is not quite in sync with the real mouse pointer, but the GUI starts all
> right!
>
> Thank you, I think I can start testing various DEs. I've created a small
> how-to in Russian: https://victor-sudakov.dreamwidth.org/487181.html

Deepl.com did a great job translating it:

Installing FreeBSD with a graphical interface in bhyve
Dec. 8th, 2019 06:14 pm
victor_sudakov
May be useful, for example, for testing graphical desktop environments.
Sysutils/vm-bhyve is used as a shell to bhyve, net/tightvnc as a VNC client.

Since the framebuffer console is only available when booting the guest
operating system in UEFI mode (and not in bhyveload mode), you must install the
FreeBSD guest in UEFI mode.

I. The configuration of the new VM must contain the following parameters
Loader="uefi"
graphics="yes"
graphics_wait="auto"
graphics_res="1280x720"
xhci_mouse="no"

II. We start the installation as usual for UEFI guests:
vm install test1 FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
vncviewer 192.168.1.1:5900

In the EFI console, wait for the FreeBSD boot menu, then press 3 (Escape to
loader prompt). In the loader console

set boot_serial=NO
boot

When installing Auto (ZFS), you must select "Partition Scheme GPT(UEFI)",
bsdinstall will create an EFI partition and place the loader there. When
installing on UFS, you will have to manually create an EFI partition and fill
it with content from /boot/boot1.efifat.

III. On the last step of the installation (Manual Configuration):
echo 'boot_serial="NO" >> /boot/loader.conf

IV. Install the X's and the required desktop environment:
pkg install xorg gnome3

V. In /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-scfb.conf add a section:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "scfb"
EndSection

This is important! Unless you add it, X-server will not find a framebuffer
console.

VI. Run the right graphics environment
sysrc dbus_enable=YES
sysrc hald_enable=YES