Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:26:23 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   adjusting linux script that checks for glibc version?

I've gotten as far as getting lahey's installation script to execute,
but it checks for the glibc version based upon a linux-layout.

The offending snippet is:

#  Determine glibc version used on the system.
#
libc=""
if [ `/lib/libc.so.6|grep "GNU C Library"|grep -c "version 2.1"` = "1" ]; then
  libc="glibc2.1"
fi
if [ `/lib/libc.so.6|grep "GNU C Library"|grep -c "version 2.2"` = "1" ]; then
  libc="glibc2.2"
fi

As-is, it generates,
filecopy: /lib/libc.so.6: not found
filecopy: /lib/libc.so.6: not found

I've tried changing /lib to /compat/linux /lib,  which changes the
errors to
/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

It then asks which version, and accepts my taking the glibc2.1 option.

What is the "correct" way to check such a thing?

thanks

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail