Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:39:59 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        haro@tk.kubota.co.jp (Munehiro Matsuda), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA weird message?

> It seems Munehiro Matsuda wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > =

> > I am using -current as of December 9 (CTM:src-cur.4130.gz), and
> > got following weird ATA related messages while 'make -j4 buildworld'.=

> > I never had this kind of message when using wd drivers.
> > =

> > 	ata0-master: ad_timeout: lost disk contact - resetting
> > 	ata0: resetting devices .. done
> =

> Hmm, maybe the timeout in ata-disk.c is too short, try increasing
> the 5*hz to say 10*hz in line 436, and see if that changes anything..

Ugh.  Are we still using these short timeouts for I/O transaction =

completion?  Much pain some time back established that we need at least =

30 seconds for some drives doing internal error recovery, and as long as =

the drive is returning something sensible (ie. still busy), we should =

give it at least that long.

-- =