Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 10:32:27 +0200
From:      "Sean White" <swhite@jedi.wcape.gov.za>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2842 SCSI controller issues

On 29 Apr 97 at 18:07, Justin T. Gibbs wrote the following:-

> Actually it probably means that I should be relying on the
> serial eeprom on the 284X cards instead of using the values
> left over in scratch ram.  This is probalby screwing up the
> parameters used in sync negotiation.

I don't know if this will help at all, but I've run into similar problems
on some systems that have AIC7870 controllers embedded on the motherboard
with *no* SEEPROM. It appears as though SCSI bus disconnect is not being
set - writes to the disk while the tape drive is busy guarantees a panic.

I've experienced this with both 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 - not tried it with 2.1.7.1
yet. The only workaround I was able to do was to install an AHA2742 and
stick all my devices on that. If you want me to recreate the crash and
provide info on it, lemme know. Can do. Not a problem. :)

Regards,
        Sean.

| CCS: Western Cape  | Tel: +27-21-462-2780 | DISCLAIMER: Any opinions ex- |
| Private Bag X1     | Fax: +27-21-462-2791 | pressed above are *MINE*! If |
| 8012 ROGGEBAAI     | swhite@gov.za.       | you want my boss's, ask him. |
  "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engine intakes"