Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:37:34 -0400
From:      Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode support in Free bsd.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On 08/04/2010 20:11:15, Kotecha, Grishma wrote:
>> Can we name files in freebsd with unicode characters?
>> Also are unicode characters supported in file i/o system calls like open=
, dllopen, fopen? i.e. can we open a file with unicode pathname?
>> for e.g in windows CreatefileW is used for opening files with unicode pa=
thnames (wide characters).
[...]
> The tricky bit is getting the user-interface to interpret those names as
> Unicode (or whatever) and show you the appropriate sequence of glyphs in
> whatever character set you prefer. =A0In general you need to set various
> locale related environment variables plus you may need to run
> specialized terminal emulator software to enable means for entering
> non-roman characters via your keyboard.

I find this thread interesting because I had similar problems in FBSD
with UTF-8. The virtual terminals will not support multi-byte
characters nor several other things. Nevertheless, if you have Gnome
(and I guess KDE as well) you can configure _that_ environment quite
easily to support UTF-8.

Just add:

gdm_lang=3D"en_US.UTF-8"

or whatever other locale you want in your rc.conf and that's it. You
can also customize this on a per-user basis. I haven't got the
languages list to work yet in GDM, but all I needed was UTF-8 anyway.
If anyone knows how to get multi-locales to work with GDM it would be
awesome. I searched several threads but noone seemed to have an aswer.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Alejandro Imass

> See: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/l10n.html
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Cheers,
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Matthew
>
> - --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 7 Pri=
ory Courtyard
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey =A0 =A0 Ramsgate
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Kent, CT11 9PW