Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:48:20 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install questions

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 05:38:25PM -0700, Mike Shlitz wrote:
> I have an older machine, Pentium 233 MMX, 256MB SDRAM, 512 cache, (2) Wes=
tern Digital 8.4 GB HDD, 24X CDROM, 2X CDRW.
>=20
> My intention is to run a tri-boot machine letting Slackware 8.1 and FreeB=
SD 4.6.2 split the second drive. =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 1. Should I change the harddrives so that C:\ is primary master and D:\ i=
s secondary master?
>=20
>=20
> 3. Should I install Slackware or FreeBSD first?  Does it matter?

It doesn't necessarily matter, but keep in mind that FreeBSD needs a
primary partition.  Slack can go in a logical drive in an extended
partition.  Lilo or Grub can boot MS, FreeBSD and the Linux install.
Grub is available in the FreeBSD ports.  I don't remember if Slack uses
Grub or Lilo (these days my Linux distro is Gentoo).  Or, you can
install Grub in FreeBSD from ports.  I think it'll depend upon which one
you'll be more likely to be playing with most, as that's the one you'll
be most likely to reinstall, and therefore, might want to put the
bootloader on the other installation.

Both Linux and FreeBSD can boot from a secondary master, so that part
doesn't matter.  (And, they can boot the other O/S's from it.)

HTH=20

--=20

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )

Harmony: How are you gonna kill her? Think! The second you even=20
point that thing at her, you're gonna be all 'Aaagh!' (holding=20
her hand to her head in imitation of Spike), and then you'll get=20
bitch-slapped up and down Main Street, unless she's finally had=20
enough and just stakes you!=20
Spike: Sure, it'll hurt like hell for about two hours. But she'll
be dead just a little longer than that.=20

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--