Date:      21 Sep 2004 17:10:00 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot update XFree86-4

It started with a bug-fix update to one part of XFree86. After I
installed it, my Gnome panel refused to load some applets. As the Gnome
desktop opens I get error dialogs like these:

=-=-=-=-=
The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet".
Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
'!prefs_key=/apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/applet_0/prefs;background=none:;orient=up;size=medium;locked_down=false

Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

=-=-=-=-=
The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_WindowMenuApplet".
Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
'!prefs_key=/apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/applet_1/prefs;background=none:;orient=up;size=medium;locked_down=false

Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

=-=-=-=-=

I ran pkg_version and noticed that all of XFree86 had newer versions,
from 4.2 to 4.4. I thought I was out of whack and just needed to update
the whole thing. I did portupgrade XFree86, but it failed here:

=-=-=-=-=
making all in ./xtrans...
tbl ../../../doc/util/macros.t Xtrans.mm | groff -Tps -mm 2> index.raw >
Xtrans.nPS  && mv -f Xtrans.nPS Xtrans.PS
Xtrans.mm:699: warning [p 10, 3.2i, div bd7,3', 0.3i]: cannot adjust
line
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-documents/work/xc/doc/specs/xtrans.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-documents/work/xc/doc/specs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-documents.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4.

=-=-=-=-=

I googled this and found one previous posting in August, but no reply.

I updated my ports and 4.10 STABLE source trees and rebuilt my kernel,
but that did not help.

Does it matter that my sources are on an NFS server and I only mount one
at a time (/usr/ports or /usr/src)?

Thanks in advance!

Gary Dunn
Honolulu