Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 15:49:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   ypbind and "-S" param

  I don't like how the "-S" param to ypbind works.  "-S", as described in
the manpage can be used instead of ypset in order to specify a limited set
of NIS servers.  However, you can not specify non-local NIS
servers with "-S".

  You must use ypset to force ypbind to go to a non-local server, however,
this means you can only set only NIS server, and since ypbind only uses
ypset as a "hint", if it loses binding, it just starts polling the
ethernet for a local server.

  So, why won't "-S" take non-local servers?

  Currently, ypbind is basically useless without a local NIS server.
However, I can't make this system a NIS server too because it only a T1
away from the master, and map pushing is already too slow.  So NIS
client-only setup seems to be the way to go.

Tom