Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        hight@sri.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System Commander and FreeBSD problems

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, John Hight wrote:

> Recently I've totally reorganized my four-scsi-drive system.  I
> previously used NT's loader, but I'm currently reworking thinks to try
> using System Commander.  I've finally managed to bust through the evil
> Microsoft OSs and get them working, but now I'm stuck with getting
> FreeBSD boot.
>
> I've got FreeBSD installed on the 1st partition of my 3rd drive.  I
> can boot off my floppy with "Boot: sd(2,a)/kernel", and when I
> disconnect my 1st two drives (scsi id 0 and 1), I can get a direct
> boot off the drive (Sys Cmdr is on drive 1, sd0).  But when I put both
> my other drives back on line, I get "Read error" after selecting my
> FreeBSD menu-item in the System Commander popup.
>
> Does System Commander have any requirements for systems to boot off of
> the first two drives?
>
> Does FreeBSD have any requirements for systems to boot off of the
> first two drives?
>
> I'm frustrated having to muck with this low level stuff.  I had hoped
> the process would be simpler by going to a "3rd-party/independent"
> software package (i.e., System Commander) and I have used it
> successfully in other situations.

	I had the same problem many moons ago and a fellow FreeBSD user,
Gavin Cameron gave the following info:

	Let's try this...At the System Commander main menu at boot time
hit ALT+S.  From here highlight but do not hit enter the global special
options menu, and then hit the ALT+F9 keys to bring up the internal
options menu. If the choice for clear items is set to memory, change it to
no by using your right arrow key with that line highlighted. If it does
not work write me again.

	Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]