Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:56:26 -0400
From:      "David Stanford" <dthomas53@gmail.com>
To:        "Wernher Eksteen" <cryptixd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -varR

On 10/9/06, Wernher Eksteen <cryptixd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> New to your list, so please forgive if I'm not doing this right, in which
> case please show me the way :)
>
> I have this issue when running portupgrade;
>
> /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -varR
> --->  Session started at: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:12:24 +0100
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ...
> /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument;
> rebuild needed] [Rebuilding the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg
> [Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ...
> /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument;
> rebuild needed] [Rebuilding the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg
> /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument:
> Cannot update the pkgdb!]: Cannot update the pkgdb!]
> Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -aFQ
> --->  Session ended at: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:12:26 +0100 (consumed
> 00:00:01)
>
> I'm pretty new to using Portupgrade, and need some help with this. No idea
> what this means or how to fix it.
> Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Wernher,

For general questions you should send emails to the freebsd-questions list.

Regarding your question, I believe the problem is that you recently upgraded
your Berkeley DB and/or portupgrade and now your version of portupgrade is
incompatible with the previous database. I had this problem a while back and
if I remember correctly you have to delete your previous portupgrade
database and running it afterwards will just create a new one. However, I
don't remember how I did this so I would suggest mailing the questions list
as I'm sure someone there will have the answer.

-David
--
[root@fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.