Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:01:31 -0500
From:      Jason Garrett <kingedgar@gmail.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attempting ZFS Only Install of 7.2

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:01, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>wrote:

> [...]
>>        know
>>           of any way I can confirm or deny my suspicion?
>>

>>        I am in the same spot you are now. I started the process
>>        yesterday but had to quit because it got too late. Apparently
>>        the few who have written these guides have gotten it to work,
>>        but that still eludes me. I'll post back if I get it working
>>        or have any new developments.
>>

>>    Well you're doing better than me.  I've been at this for about 10
>>    days off and on.  :)
>>
>>    Cheers,
>>

>>    Drew
>>

>> Ok, now a few days later and still frustrated. Basically I narrowed my
>> install down to one drive, divided up with gpt. I used a few sections from
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot - specifially the section on
>> installing the sources from /dist/8.0-BETA1 as well as rebuilding the loader
>> as this guide says.
>>
>> I actually got it to load the kernel, goes through that ok. As soon as it
>> tries to mount the root filesystem, it hangs with the following messages.
>> (Won't respond to the keyboard anymore)
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> Trying to mount root from zfs:zroot
>> ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
>> If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following
>> from the loader prompt:
>>
>>            set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw (did this,no luck.. also
>> switched to an /etc/fstab layout, still no go)
>>
>> and then remove the invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.
>>
>> Loader Variables:
>> vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:zroot
>> vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw,noatime (this is from the /etc/fstab
>> attempt)
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> Then it describes some specifications on how to use the <fstype>:<device>.
>>
>> I just don't get how some are getting this working, yet it comes so hard
>> for others.
>>
>> Drew, I hope you have had better luck than I. I may just give up until it
>> is a viable solution.
>>

> No, you're still doing better than me.  Thanks for the ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot
> <http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSOnRootWithZFSboot>;  link.  I have basically
> tried rebuilding the loader as described in that guide but did it with 7.2
> sources.  It didn't work.
>
> My next step is to try with the sources on 8.0-BETA1 DVD iso but every time
> I download the image and attempt to burn with Nero on a Windows machine, I
> am notified by Nero of some error in the image and am offered the
> opportunity to fix or ignore.  I don't understand the error but will
> probably just "ignore" and see if I get a boot.  Nero also thinks it's a CD
> and not DVD.  I don't know if that will be an issue or not.
>
> I too have been considering giving up but I'm actually learning so much
> about the boot process and how to install FBSD that I kind of enjoy it.
>  I've always relied on sysinstall in the past and then done interesting
> tricks after install to get my filesystems laid out as I want.

Thanks everyone for the awesome input. I will be attempting another install
tonight giving the usb drive thing a shot, as well as seeing if the
partition is active. I'm sure I rebuilt the loader with
"LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=YES", as It wouldn't even boot the kernel before I did
this step. Alot of new things to try now, and Drew, I'm with you. I am
actually learing alot about the boot process as well.. it just sucks to
spend 10 hours in one day to have nothing work. :P

Thanks again everyone, I will post back with my results.