Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:05:16 GMT
From:      Hilarie Orman <ho@cs.arizona.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/85938: Install fails, unable to write partitions

>Number:         85938
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Install fails, unable to write partitions
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
      I am installing from the 5.4 CD ISO, disk 1.  The machine is the i386 class, the ASUSRock K7S41GX with a fresh Seagate Barracuda disk, 300 GB.  I have tried using the whole disk and automatic partitions.  The installation first complains that the disk geometry is wrong (it finds the geometry with no help from me), but proceeds with creating the FreeBSD partitions.  It accepts the other configuration data, and finally fails when it tries to write the FreeBSD partitions:

Unable to find device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!

When viewed from Linux the geometry is the same, and the OS has no
trouble writing partitions.  FreeBSD can then see the partitions on boot, but gets the same error as when the disk was fresh out of the box.