Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:31:54 -0500
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropbox on FreeBSD

--As of February 17, 2014 10:02:26 AM -0600, Matthew Pherigo is alleged to
have said:

> Although tarsnap is great, I don't believe it's a file syncing
> solution - only a backup solution.
>
> --Matt

Yeah - I'm a long-time fan of tarsnap as well, but it would be a very bad
choice for this application.  Tarsnap keeps a local cache of metadata to
keep track of what it's backed up and what is in what blocks - and getting
that cache out of sync with the server causes some weird issues from what I
understand.  It's fixable, but it would be a lot of overhead if you were
trying to use it to sync two machines.

Daniel T. Staal

>> On Feb 17, 2014, at 12:29 AM, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, you would need to host it somewhere that has git installed and
>> ssh. That's not too tall of an order.
>>
>> There is one commercial service that does support a FreeBSD native
>> client: http://www.tarsnap.com/
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net> wrote:
>>> --As of February 15, 2014 3:02:13 PM -0500, Robert Simmons is alleged to

>>> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>>>
>>> Owncloud - already in the ports collection - would be an option too.
>>> It has more features than just folder sync, but you can ignore them if
>>> you want. ;)  (For that matter, you could run rsync to get the same
>>> effect... On ZFS with snapshots if you want to be able to roll back.)
>>>
>>> But either of these would require running a server someplace.  I'm not
>>> sure what commercial solutions there are that have a FreeBSD client.
>>> (Hmm.  A private project on Github?)
>>>
>>> Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.