Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 00:34:26 -0500
From:      Rod Taylor <rod@zort.on.ca>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts...

The main reason for choosing Coda was inteed

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> :[  -current seemed like the best place to put this as I suspect thats what I'll
> :be using for the various NFS & linux compat updates.]

>     Generally speaking if you limit the functionality of the servers,
>     it should be possible to depend on them being up.

I've not used NFS heavily in -current.  Sounds like a lot of work has been put
into it.

>     You have to consider the network-disconnect case:  Will CODA really
>     result in the clients still being useable or is it a pipedream for
>     the type of work being done on them?  If the network-disconnect case
>     would cause too much trouble, then using CODA will not give you any
>     advantages.

Hmm.. My main thoughts for this was the hoarding issue.  As the school would
like to allow students to 'link up' via laptops and have them synchronized via
the same mechanism.

Their current solution is to copy a 1.8GB disk image across the network onto
the drives and use that as a normal local disk.  The copy time takes several
minutes.  If for some reason 50 people decided to do this at the same time you
could see where some network lag would come from.

The other reason has to do with the laggy network and booting off it.  The
things not even 10MB switched per station.  8 workstations share 10mbit hubs.
Netscape for example would take ages to load over NFS that way.  (Afterall, in
a class like that they tend to do everything in unison).

Mounting / under NFS on the other hand doesn't appear that it would be trouble.
It's /usr/local/bin that could use a little local caching.

--
Rod Taylor
Partner of Zort (zort.on.ca)