Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 01:07:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, joelh@gnu.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, thyerm@camtech.net.au, mike@smith.net.au, Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au, jlemon@americantv.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

> > It is also useful for emulation drivers to be loaded at the top of 640,
> > and the memory size returned adjusted down, since BSD now respects this
> > for APM support.
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't the case.  A DOS-mode driver doesn't adjust
> the BIOS memory tables (for obvious reasons), and most DOS-mode drivers
> are going to want to have resources vectored to them that are simply
> not available.
>
> It was a nice idea when we were talking about it before, but basically
> by the time you've reverse-engineered a driver enough to provide it
> with an adequate emulation environment, you might as well rewrite it
> properly.

Or do the emulation environment, so that you won't have to repeat the
work with the next driver.

I *still* have a system where the LBA modes for the INT 13 interface
are provided in a boot block that gets loaded and then calls the real
boot block, located 64 sectors later.

To be able to use LBA INT 13 from FreeBSD is kind of an important goal,
isn't it?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---