Date:      Mon, 28 May 2007 12:01:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        hselasky@c2i.net
Cc:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UMASS pbm at startup

In message: <200705281912.30389.hselasky@c2i.net>
            Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> writes:
: On Monday 28 May 2007 18:52, Aymeric MUNTZ (Cerbere3) wrote:
: > Hi,
: >
: > I have a pbm with my usb disk-key under freebsd.
: > When i start the system (FreeBSD 5.2) with the key already plugged, it is
: > not recognised. If I unplug and replug it, it is recognised.
: > With an other motherboard, I do not have this problem.
: >
: > Is there a way to rescan for usb devices? I already tried "camcontrol
: > rescan all" with no success.
: >
:
: Have you tried the SVN version of the new USB stack with FreeBSD 6.2
: installed?

Let's just change one thing at a time...  Try going to 6.2 first.
changing both the usb stack and the freebsd version at one time might
not be wise.  We also need to track down problems in the current USB
stack, since we are never going to put hps' stack into RELENG_6.
Since it hasn't yet been committed to current and there's a freeze
coming up shortly, it is doubtful that it will be in RELENG_7 either.
We need to not view hps' stack as this magical thing that solves all
problems because we have at least RELENG_6 to support for a while, and
may have to support the current stack in RELENG_7 too.

To be honest, I really wish Hans would be more pro-active in merging
changes to the old stack so that the delta between it and his would be
more manageable.  I've said this plenty of times privately, but no
fixes to the old stack have been forthcoming, not even new vendor IDs
for existing drivers...

Warner