Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:52:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      matt <matt@mlink.net>
To:        FreeBSD-SECURITY <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   slocate v1.6

Thanks to Kevin Lindsay <klindsay@mkintraweb.com> and his willingness
to work with me. Secure Locate v1.6 is now FreeBSD compatible =) I
originally worked up a patch for 1.5, together we cleaned it all up
and it was included in the 1.6 release. For those who do not know what
secure locate is, it is a replacement for GNU locate, fixes many security
problems and is faster (imho) then locate. It also does not allow a user
to see any files that they don't have permission to read, ie; A user can't
do "locate root" and see everything in root's home dir.. or so on.. It
installs binary to /usr/bin, moves "locate" to locate.old then links
slocate to locate. It also places a link in /usr/libexec called "updatedb"
use this command from your cron scripts or whatnot to update the slocate
database which is stored in /var/db/slocate. It can be downloaded from
the following sites:

FTP: ftp.mkintraweb.com/pub/linux/slocate/
FTP2: ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/unix/security/slocate/

I hope you find this of use =)

Matt

--
DISCLAIMER: Anyone sending me unsolicited commercial electronic mail
will be charged a $100 fee for time spent reading it. Do NOT send this

US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable
by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater,
for each violation.