Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:12:05 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel adjustment for clock drift

About a week ago I wrote:

> I've been away from the lists for ages and am looking for an
> update on clock drift management under FreeBSD-3.4R.  I have a
> machine that drifts about 7 seconds a day and I'd like to tweak
> something in the kernel to keep it closer to the truth.  The
> clock gets corrected once a day by ntpdate, but I'd like to
> avoid such big adjustments.

For the benefit of anybody who wanted to know the answer, I got
the following very helpful response from Poul-Henning Kamp (also
posted on -hackers):

    On 3.4 you need to set the frequency of the relevant timecounter.

    If you
	    grep Timecounter /var/run/dmesg.boot
    and look at the *last line*, it will say either TSC or i8254.

    You can then modify the frequency with the corresponding sysctl
    variable:
	    machdep.i8254_freq: 1193182
    or
	    machdep.tsc_freq: 400911216

    and set the frequency there.

    Make sure that you have APM firmly disabled in the BIOS.