Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:00:20 +1100
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor Internet throughput on FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

hello all ..

i;m not sure if i should be asking this question in -questions.
i have a new (fro me) pentium pr 180 mhz motherboard, it is a
supermicro p6sne. i have a pci based smc nic a smc9432tx -
EtherPower II 10/100, it is the smc epic/100 83c170 seris.

i've had this card (and teh computer) for a little over two
years now, i purchased it new. after working for about 6
months flawlessly in freebsd v2.2.7-release i did a fresh
install of v2.2.8-release and teh nic stoped working, it just
slowed down and finally wouldn't pass any traffic.

now that i have got my v3.3-release cds i plan to resurect my
x11 desktop machine i plan to build a 'graphics workstation'.

recently i caught the tail end of a thread that said that the
smc epic (83c170, in particular) based nics were no longer
supported because they were to hard to make work and or build a
driver for.

if its any help this same computer works flawlessly in ibms
os/2 v3.0 warp connect and nt v4 sans any fixup patches and ms
dos based tcp/ip networking. freebsd works ok just the nic
seems to have decided to dislike freebsd, so much so that
freebsd no longer sees the nic  on bootup.

i find this particularly frustrating as it worked very well for
some 6 months with v2.2.7-release, i'd be happy to go back to
that if i could get it to work. when i failed thier were no log
entries no 'failure' or error repots generated it just slowed
down. i remember one other persom making a similarplea also
with no answers, none that i could find. i've poked arond in
the archive (even asked a few linux people i know) .. noting.

i'm not ready to buy a new card and the store was not keen on
refunding or replaceing, it was a special order and they only
deal in $10 ne2000 clones and as i said the card did and still
works (very) well in microsoft windows 95-98 and microsoft
windows nt (both server and workstation) .. just not freebsd it
seems. they were skeptical when i told them that the machine
woould be returned if i didn't work with freebsd but gave me a
two week 'on aproval' period, i used to be a good "professonal
services" customer, before i retired.

i've checked the bios fro pnp os type things its all set to
favour freebsd.

some pointers would be apreciated, also i'm nolonger subscribed
to -questions, so a cc with my email would be muchly
apreciated.

warm regards

jonathan

ps, i checked the hub (netgear 8 port 10 mbit, en308) all the
cables, and had a set handmade by a wiring/network 'expert', he
is a telco e1 (2 mbit) wiring and cable installer. i just don't
know what to do next.