Date:      Sun, 04 Nov 2012 18:24:25 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about dump/restore to/from DVD media

In message <CAOgwaMvoNCTi7AkMtjw0+CAaSTFHfAE5GW+pkMh+4LdR00-9rA@mail.gmail.com>
Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com> wrote:

>Assume one file will NOT be copied more than ONE DVD , i.e. , each file
>will be completely recorded on one DVD :
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_stock_problem

The problem you cited is an interesting one, but I do not believe that
it is at all relevant to the current discussion for the simple reason
that this "cutting problem" is based on the assmption that one "thing"
(e.g. a cut piece of paper) cannot be spread across two or more of the
available units of raw material (e.g. a standard roll of paper).

I'm sure that is true for paper, but as regards to FreeBSD partition
backups, these have always been allowed to cross output volume boundaries,
I think, e.g. spilling off the end of one backup tape and onto the beginning
of the next backup tape.

Regards,
rfg