Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:23:32 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jeff W. Boote" <boote@internet2.edu>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Looking for ntp/PPS setup guide

> Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:52:32 -0600
> From: "Jeff W. Boote" <boote@internet2.edu>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > The problem is that polling mode and PPS don't work properly together,
> > so I have found that the TrueTime format provides the best results.
> > ctime=off
> > emul=truetime
> > ctime=on
>
> Specifically, If I remember correctly... the binary format used by the
> palisades driver uses the same pin as PPS making them incompatible
> (DCD?).
>
> > I am still looking at the best choice for PPS setup...PPS_SYNC (flag3 1"
> > or software PPL "flag3 1". Both do very well. I suspect that the absolute
>
> PPL would be "flag3 0", right?

Yes, PLL (I typed PPL about 5 or 6 times) would be "flag3 0". I am a
truly terrible typist and spell check does not catch these things.

> > time is closest with PPS_SYNC but the stability is often better with PLL
> > discipline. If PLL proves the more stable, I will use a fudge of time1
> > to correct for the offset. (In my last message bnl-owamp was running
> > PPS_SYNC and the system I queries was running PLL. Note the 51
> > microsecond offset. I don't know yet if that's real or an artifact of
> > network delays.
>
> That is an interesting idea. I have not tried that yet. I may try "flag3
> 0" on one or two of our systems and see if the stability improves. (We
> have 11 of these in service at the moment... The places we have real
> stability problems now is where we tend to loose CDMA service for
> portions of a day.)
>
> One thing we have noticed is that the TrueTime output seems to have a
> fairly large offset relative to the PPS output of the device. (i.e. The
> two outputs of the exact same device seem to have a non-trivial offset
> from each other.) This causes a fair bit of instability. To compensate
> for this, we have been using a fudge of time1 to correct the TrueTime
> output. (11 msec's is what we have found works but I suspect this is PC
> hardware and OS dependent.) I am not sure how much of this delay is due
> to the polling nature of the TrueTime NTP driver verses the more event
> driven PPS implementation in the kernel. To determine the 11 msec value,
> we used the enable calibrate mode of NTP and waited for the offset to
> stabilize for a couple of days.

I've been using 10 ms. on mine, but 11 may be better.

Time will tell which approach is better. Based on testing over the
weekend, I suspect that I will be switching back to PPS, but I'll let
things run a bit longer before making a final decision.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)