Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:59:53 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        archive@in-design.com
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered - works with solaris

Intuitive Design Archives wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 12:38:52PM -0500, Intuitive Design Archives wrote:
> > Hello all;
> >
> >       I have been having the problem mentioned in the subject. I have tried
> > everything, and even manually restarting nfsd and portmap and mountd and
> > nfsiod. Nothing seams to work, and I am at my wit's end. What is weird
> that
> > I have the following config. Two Fbsd boxes and one sun. The sun is
> running
> > solaris 8. It can mount shares from the fbsd boxes, and the fbsd boxes can
> > mount shares from it. However the Fbsd boxes are not able to mount shares
> > from each other. The sun has no problem in either direction. Any idea what
> > could be going on here.  Should I force nfs to do -v 3 or something?  I am
> > running FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE.

Verify your /etc/exports file. I had this happen to me just yesterday,
the nfs client was complaining about permissions and I was wracking my
brain against various rwxrwxrwx combinations trying to figure it out. It
turned out that I had typo in the exports file and the filesystem wasn't
even exported. (BTW: what error are you getting? - I was getting an rpc
error on the client, but the server was announcing that it denyed the
mount)
I'm pretty sure the FreeBSD format for the exports file is different
from Solaris, so if you're used to Solaris you may want to check the
docs on this.

-Bill