Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 14:19:44 -0700
From:      "Scott Worthington" <SWorthington@hsag.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vinum question on 3.2-RELEASE

I'm attempting to successfully create a mirrored
volume on two SCSI drives.

The mirrored plexes are on /dev/da0s3c and=20
/dev/da1s1c.  Both are of type 'vinum'.

I can successfully 1) create, 2) start the mirror plex,=20
3) create the newfs, 4) mount the file system,=20
5) copy files into the fs.  But when I reboot,
vinum reports that ** no drives found...

If I run vinum and do the create command and
read my configuration file, I can then remount
the volume manually.

This is FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE from CD-ROM.

Here's the steps that I have performed to create
a mirrored volume:

1) Using disklabel, created a vinum partition on
/dev/da0s3c and /dev/da1s1c
BTW: These partitions are ~3400M
2) Created the file: vinum.conf in the /root directory
which contains:
 drive drive1 device /dev/da0s3c
 drive drive2 device /dev/da1s1c
volume mirror
  plex org concat
   sd length 3300m drive drive1
  plex org concat
   sd length 3300m drive drive2
3) Loaded 'vinum'
4) Typed 'create -f vinum.conf'
5) To start the mirrored plex 1: 'start mirror.p1'
The plex remains in initializing until you start it.
6) Exited out of vinum: 'quit'
7) Created the newfs: 'newfs -v /dev/vinum/rmirror'
Note: the newfs is created on the raw device
8) Mounted the newfs: 'mount /dev/vinum/mirror /mnt'
9) Copied some 'stuff' for testing: 'cp /sbin/* .'
10) Ensured that vinum was loaded at boot time by
editing /boot/loader.conf and adding the line:
vinum_load=3D"YES"
11) Edited the /etc/rc.conf to ensure that vinum
new which drives were for it:
vinum_drives=3D"/dev/da0s3c /dev/da1s1c"
12) Reboot and then vinum complains that=20
'** no drives found: No such file or directory'

I've looked into the /dev/vinum/drive directory
and everything looks okay.

I know that I'm just not holding my tongue just right.

Anyone have an insight?  This how-to needs=20
a little tweek and it should work.