Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:50:50 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum documentation

On Tuesday, 26 November 2002 at 10:58:15 +0000, Adam Laurie wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Monday, 25 November 2002 at 15:42:37 +0000, Adam Laurie wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> who is the best person to talk to regarding vinum docco?
>>

>> I suppose I'm as good as any.
>>

>>> the reason i ask is because i recently had to recover a crashed
>>> system with vinum runinng on it, and i had a recovery scenario which
>>> doesn't appear to be covered by any of the docs or online faqs... my
>>> company has therefore tasked me with submitting a patch and getting
>>> said docco updated...
>>>
>>> fyi, the scenario was that the root disk containing /dev/vinum
>>> lost so the whole thing was moved onto a fresh install.
>>

>> That doesn't make any sense.
>
> sorry - that should have said the root disk *was* lost. i.e. i was
> working on a brand new system disk which didn't have /dev/vinum on
> it.

/dev/vinum isn't important.

>>> the tricky bit was to get vinum to come back up without initialising
>>> & wiping the volume(s).
>>
>> vinum start
>
> see above. since the system didn't know about the raid, there was
> nothing to start.

You mean there was no other Vinum disk on the system?

>> I'd be very interested to know what happened and what you did.
>
> ok, so we built a new bsd boot disk and did a vinum create with the
> original config to create the  /dev/vinum tree:
>
>   drive d0 device /dev/da0s1e
>   drive d1 device /dev/da1s1e
>   drive d2 device /dev/da2s1e
>   drive d3 device /dev/da3s1e
>   drive d4 device /dev/da4s1e
>   drive d5 device /dev/da5s1e
>   drive d6 device /dev/da6s1e
>   drive d7 device /dev/da7s1e
>   drive d8 device /dev/da8s1e
>   drive d9 device /dev/da9s1e
>         volume raid1
>                 plex org raid5 512k
>                         sd length 5g drive d0
>                         sd length 5g drive d1
>                         sd length 5g drive d2
>                         sd length 5g drive d3
>                         sd length 5g drive d4
>                         sd length 5g drive d5
>                         sd length 5g drive d6
>                         sd length 5g drive d7
>                         sd length 5g drive d8
>                         sd length 5g drive d9
>         volume raid2
>                 plex org raid5 512k
>                         sd length 0 drive d0
>                         sd length 0 drive d1
>                         sd length 0 drive d2
>                         sd length 0 drive d3
>                         sd length 0 drive d4
>                         sd length 0 drive d5
>                         sd length 0 drive d6
>                         sd length 0 drive d7
>                         sd length 0 drive d8
>                         sd length 0 drive d9

This doesn't look like there was no other Vinum disk on the system.

> however, when we did a vinum start, raid1.p0.s0 and raid2.p0.s0 went
> to 'init' state, so we shut it down.

Yes, given that you didn't have a drive d0, that's reasonable.

> the eventual fix was to do a 'vinum read' on each of the devices,

That wasn't necessary.

> set raid1.p0.s0 and raid2.p0.s0 to obsolete (as they had been
> clobbered by the init)

Well, it seems they didn't exist.

> and then start everything.
>
> i suspect what i should have done right from the start was just the
> 'vinum read' on each hard disk instead of the create which made it think
> it was a new raid?

You don't need vinum read.  It already knew about the disks.

>> Have you read http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/replacing-drive.html?
>
> yep. like all the others i've found, this deals with fixing problems
> within the raid itself, not moving a working raid onto a new system
> (which is effectively what i was doing).

No, it addresses exactly your problem, modulo the fact that your
plexes were RAID-5.  I'd be interested in what makes you think it's
different.

Greg