Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:27:56 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: portmap, rpc.statd and SNMP

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 04:13:32PM +0930, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 08:02:40PM -0700, Robert Sowders wrote:
> > > You cannot run statd or portmap manually, these are services that answer other sevices only.
> > > Statd answers programs like xload, portmap answers services like NFS.
> >
> > But that didn't answer my question. I said that it is enabled in
> > rc.conf, but still doesn't start!

> > > I asked before if someone could help regarding SNMP monitoring of a
> > > FreeBSD system. I have ucd-snmp running on the machine. I have (in
> > > rc.conf) enabled portmap and rpc.statd, but these services doesn't run!!
> > > I tried starting portmap and then rpc.statd manually with no better
> > > result. What i want to see is the system load, and as far as I have
> > > understood it i should hav portmap and rpc.statd running to be able to
> > > do this.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > >
> > > The monitoring program I use is scotty with tkined ver 1.4.10
>
> Have you tried starting portmap with the -d option and see what errors
> and so forth it prints?

If it cannot be started manually, how should I capture the output of the
portmap with the -d switch?

Actually, when digging a little deeper into this I guess that portmap is
started allright. I get this:

su-2.02# ps ax | grep portmap
  115  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/sbin/portmap

So I guess it is a service started quite early in the process. So the
real problem is that rpc.statd isn't running in spite of what is said in
rc.conf

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_