Date:      Sun, 11 May 2014 14:33:12 +0000
From:      "Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        "marino@freebsd.org" <marino@freebsd.org>, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, "portmgr-feedback@freebsd.org" <portmgr-feedback@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ACTION REQUIRED - Unstaged Ports being DEPRECATED on June 31st.

On 05/11/2014 03:22 AM, John Marino wrote:
> On 5/11/2014 04:02, Montgomery-Smith, Stephen wrote:
>> On 05/10/2014 08:48 PM, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>>> On 11 May 2014 03:33, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> [...]

>> I have noticed that "make all" now includes the staging as well as
>> building.  That is to say, it looks like there is a rather wholesale
>> reordering of how ports build and install.  From this I conclude it is
>> becoming harder to include the legacy NO_STAGE code, which presumably
>> must stick to the old way of doing things.
>=20
> I don't understand this paragraph.  I never use "make all" at the ports
> level.  "make install" will do 2 steps: install into the staging area
> and then install onto the system.  If you just want to install in the
> staging area, you use "make stage" target.  By definition "all" is do
> everything, so that's not a surprise that's not a surprise.  Maybe stop
> using "all"?  A lone "make" is equivalent to "make build", so just use
> that perhaps?

When you type "make" by itself, you are implicitly meaning "make all".
(You can see this by looking at bsd.port.mk.)

It used to be that when you typed "make", it would build the sources.
Then "make install" would create a staging area, and then directly copy
the staged stuff it to ${PREFIX}.

But now, when you type "make", it builds the source, AND installs the
stuff into the staging area.  All "make install" does is copy the staged
stuff to ${PREFIX}.=