Date:      10 Nov 1999 15:50:44 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: optimization changed from TIME to SPACE

John Ryan <jryan@kgv.edu.hk> writes:

> I've had a look at other questions about this on the mailing list and they
> all say that you are running out of space.  I set up a cron job to do a df
> -i every minute, which does not show this to be my problem.
>
> The following output from my /var/log/messages and df -i show what's
> happenning.  The strange thing is that November 7 was a Sunday, and this a
> proxy server at a secondary school.  (no one using the system) The df -i
> output is from the same time as the third instance in the messages.
>
> The only thing I've changed in the kernel is maxusers = 48 because I was
> running out of file descriptors, and it's only started happenning since
> then.

Squid is a very greedy program when it comes to file descriptors.
However, changing maxusers to 48 should be enough for running squid and
using the same machine as a workstation in X11.  I am doing this at
home, and with maxusers = 32 it worked fine.

Oh and one more thing, is it possible that you have configured Squid to
use at most X space, and when it finds it's reaching that limit it
changes optimization strategy to save some space?

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]