Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:51:32 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@link.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        Gary Palmer <Gary.Palmer@RCN.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Gary Palmer wrote:

>POP Before SMTP, Authenticated SMTP and limiting access to your own
>netblocks are the only ``secure'' methods of denying
>relaying. Unfortunately, authenticated SMTP (by far the best solution)
>isn't all that widespread yet, and I don't know any freeware programs
>that come with AuthSMTP built in. Sendmail doesn't have it yet,
>although Eric says it will be in the next rev (I believe)

Is it likely that you will ever see something like this built-in ?
I ask because there are so many different POP3 servers
(although by covering qpopper, cucipop and ipop3d, you'd probably
cover at least 60% of them), and the functionality lies not in
sendmail, but rather in an external program constantly evaluating
pop connections and putting hosts in and removing hosts from a
"allow relay" database.

And of course, several Win32 clients are stupid and SEND first and
then receive, and don't allow you to choose; resulting in your users
whining; notably, M$-crap e-mail clients. Pegasus and Eudora work correctly,
from what I remember.

Does anyone know of any SMTP server or e-mail client that supports
username+password pairs for SMTP relaying ?

If that was the case, I'm sure it would be relatively easy to patch
the authentication module to do lookups via Radius or LDAP.
---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khetan@iafrica.com ; khetan@os.org.za
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  * Talk/Finger khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
FreeBSD enthusiast            * http://www2.za.freebsd.org/