Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:59:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      scott renna <flexble2547@yahoo.com>
To:        "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dlink-g520 Wireless and WEP more

Here's what I got:

This is my ifconfig for this device ath0 before
executing a new ifconfig command:

pluto# ifconfig ath0

ath0:
flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        inet6 fe80::20f:3dff:fea9:3645%ath0 prefixlen
64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:0f:3d:a9:36:45
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet
autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid XXXX 1:XXXX
        channel 5 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF
powersavesleep 100
        wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
        wepkey 1:40-bit

See it says it's associated and has picked up a
channel, but no IP!

pluto# ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.2.180 netmask
255.255.255.0 ssid XXXX wepmode on weptxkey
1:0x123456789
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

So I gave that command a shot and still looks like an
issue.  very strange.  I've turned the ath0 interface
up and back down again several times, any thoughts on
why this card can't pull an IP?

Note:  I'm running MAC Address control on the Wireless
router I'm using and ath0 is in there and allowed.
Also, I've set the router to use 40 bit WEP encryption
and open authentication.  I'm not sure this card does
128 bit or if FreeBSD does.  any where else I might
check for problems?

--- "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>