Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:04:39 -0400
From:      Isaac Mushinsky <itz@mushinsky.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hplip setup problems

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 02:49:52 you wrote:
> fOn Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
> > I am close to assasinating my HP Photosmart C4280 in frustration.
> >
> > 1. This is an all-in-one device. (I did not try the scanner setup yet)
> > 2. ulpt, umass, uscanner modules are not in kernel and not kld-loaded.
>
> So far as I can determine, there is no reason to avoid uscanner in
> the kernel --- uscanner does not/should not grab the scanner function
> of your all-in-one.  It should then be possible to attach your single
> function scanner with sane --- although it is sensible to get hplip up
> without that complication first.
>
> > 3. Machine is FreeBSD 7-stable/amd64.
> > 4. hplip is 2.8.2
> >
> > $ usbdevs
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> > addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
> > addr 2: Photosmart C4200 series, HP
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
> > addr 1: EHCI root hub, Intel
> >
> > There is a ppd file for these series with the hplip distribution.
> >
> > hpssd, cups started in the order needed. hp-setup detects the printer,
> > and then says 'Unable to create queue'. CUPS web interface actually adds
> > the printer, but then cannot print test page to it. cups user runs hpssd
> > (I tried root too).
> >
> > /var/log/messages has:
> > Mar 25 23:57:56 omsk python: io/hpmud/musb.c 135: unable
> > get_string_descriptor -5: Input/output error Mar 25 23:57:56 omsk python:
> > io/hpmud/musb.c 1951: invalid serial id string ret=-5
> >
> > Here is all relevant output:
> > http://omsk.mushinsky.net/hplip-trouble
>
> A lot of stuff advertised here doesn't seem to be visible/existent to lynx.
>
> devfd.rules looks right
> check group --- have you added whoever is using the printer to group cups
>                     (at least root and/or toor to print the test page)?
yes

> since you say you cannot print the test page, I assume you ran hp-setup
> from a gui and can get into cups admin afterwards --- have you set the
> printer you defined in hp-setup as the default printer in cups admin?
>
> Is the printer ready (accepting jobs) according to cups admin?
yes, cups thinks the printer is up and  'ready', and accepts jobs for it.

> if your failed test pages are showing up in the job queue, it may be
> desirable to kill some of them in case you do something that does make it
> work.
>
> > Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I think the trouble is somewhere in usb or libusb:
hp:/usb/Photosmart_C4200_series?serial=0 does not look right. The libusb
exception seems to occur while trying to obtain the 'serial number'. Whatever
that means -- is the device expected to provide it?