Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2014 15:13:45 -0400
From:      "Mike." <the.lists@mgm51.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freeradius won't start due to heartbleed

On 6/10/2014 at 5:25 PM Dave B wrote:

|> On 6/9/2014 at 9:32 PM Mark Tinka wrote:
|>
|> |On Monday, June 09, 2014 08:23:31 PM Mike. wrote:
|> |
> [...]
|> |
|> |Go to "radiusd.conf", look for the "# SECURITY
|> |CONFIGURATION" section and set:
|> |
|> |	allow_vulnerable_openssl = yes
|> |
|>  =============
|>

|> Thanks, that did the trick.

|'scuse my ignorance.

|But though I understand how that proves the point, surely the
correct fix
|now
|would be to replace the openssl libs' to a version without the
|vulnerability, and
|reset that configuration option to "no"
| [ snip]

My FreeBSD install was fully patched with all the openssl patches to
date.  However, those patches do not change the openssl version
number.

Since freeradius works off the openssl version number, and not
whether I installed the patches, the "allow_vulnerable_openssl"
configuration parameter allows me to instruct freeradius to "trust
me" about openssl being OK to use.

I view it as a short-term workaround.