Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:18:27 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        mdh <mdh_lists@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free Ultra2 in Silicon Valley, USA

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 06:02:28AM -0700, mdh wrote:
> A dual CPU Ultra2 is going to be a lot more powerful than an Ultra5.

Hmm, ok, didn't know that.  If no-one else claims it first, perhaps
I can claim it for the build cluster and pull one of the Ultra 5s.
I intend to be out in .ca.us for meetBSD.

> E4500's can be relatively beefy.

We could have gotten our hands on some more of them in .ca.us but the
problem is who wants to pay for the power :-(  Really, their time has
come and gone.

> OK, this is probably way over my head, but I'll bite - what exactly
> happens if you don't breakpoint through it?

http://people.freebsd.org/~linimon/studies/dmesgs/dmesg.netra_1_t200.txt .

This appears to be some kind of race condition; my guess from fooling
around with it is that some interrupt is enabled, and then fires, before
the setup to handle it is finished.  (Note that the same kernel runs
fine on the 100s).  By stepping through it, you can see it fail at
different locations; without stepping through it, it is always at
the same.

Unfortunately my notes are at home and that machine is unreachable ATM.

mcl