Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 10:17:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        raul@scs.leeds.ac.uk
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, 3 Feb 1995 raul@scs.leeds.ac.uk wrote:

> What is FreeBSD? A cheap Unix for PC?

Well, it's not a cheap Unix; it's a _free_ Unix clone for 386/486/pentium
based systems, derived from the BSD 4.4Lite distribution.  It's available
for anonymos FTP from several sites as well as on CD-ROM from several
vendors (Walnut Creek hosts the "home" site, so I tend to buy their CD-ROM
version :{)

Information can be obtained from "http://www.freebsd.org".

> Does it have Lucid Common Lisp or other Common Lisp? And Emacs? And SML?
> And GCC? And TeX? And Perl? Yes? I want it!

Definately yes on gcc, TeX, perl, as well as pounds of other stuff
(complete X, various mail/news readers, etc.)  It's a VERY complete system.

> How much do i have to pay? Conditions? Guarantee? Do you have it in CD-ROM?
> Installation?

Paying depends on how you get it; CD-ROMs are generally in the $20+
region depending on what you get on the ROM (Walnut Creek info can be
obtained at "http://www.cdrom.com".)  Terms and conditions are specified
in the Web page noted earlier.  No guarantees - this is free software;
but to be honest I've found it to be VERY reliable.  Installation
instructions are also included on the Web page.

> PS: Would it be too much to ask for TCP/IP?

A full TCP/IP implementation, including multicast, SLIP, and PPP support, is
included.

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |