Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2005 07:20:04 GMT
From:      Heiner <h.eichmann@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/80739: Strange panic (keyboard related?) on 5.4 when dropping to single-user mode

The following reply was made to PR i386/80739; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Heiner <h.eichmann@gmx.de>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org,
 joseph@magnesium.net
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:17:45 +0200

 Same on my machine:

 FreeBSD 7of9.unimatrix-zero.borg 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Fri May
 6 16:42:06 CEST 2005
 root@7of9.unimatrix-zero.borg:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386

 I found a third way to crash the kernel: If you press any key during the boot
 process after the hard disks have been mounted, it also crashes. On my
 machine during the boot process a lot of output is scrolling over the screen.
 But at the line "Starting sshd." the scrolling stops a few seconds. If I then
 press any key, the crash happens. Pressing any key before the disks are
 mounted does not harm. If I do not touch anything, a few moments later the
 boot prompt appears and everything is fine.

 I haven't seen this on FreeBSD 5.3, but I am not sure if I ever dropped into
 the single user mode there.

 Heiner