Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:18:32 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Garrett Cooper" <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: suitability of freebsd 5.3 for 486 dx2 66?

$ df
Filesystem  1K-blocks   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a     50350  37954   8368    82%    /
/dev/ad0s1e    436206 178144 223166    44%    /usr
procfs              4      4      0   100%    /proc
$ uname -a
FreeBSD xxx.xxxxx.com 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE #0: Tue May 25
22:47:12 GMT 2004
root@perseus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
$

Granted, it's FBSD 4.10 not 4.11, but they are similar enough.

As I said, it is just in knowing how to set it up.  One of the keys
is not installing /usr/ports.  While the ports system is great for
setting things up fast, it is a space hog.  If you download and
compile the utilities by hand, it uses a lot less space, plus you
learn how the system actually works as opposed to learning how to
flip switches on a black box.

I use /usr/ports quite a lot but I didn't when I was learning.

Ted