Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 05:14:29 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   mail list delivery performance

I've got custom software sending mail items to lists of a few hundred people.
The list varies for each message.  The time it takes to get this mail to our
clients needs to be kept to a minimum.  I'm seeing some messages take 15
minutes or more to get delivered to remote servers which themselves run fast
and this is unacceptable.  Some remote servers are slow or down, and this
delays delivery to users whose servers are ready to accept mail quickly.

Currently I'm splitting the list into groups of 30 addresses and starting a
separate sendmail process for each.  Probably I can reduce the number of
addresses per list, but sometimes the messages come close together, and memory
could become a problem.  Moreover, while halving the length of the lists
halves the mean delivery time, it doesn't change the fact that some users wind
up waiting because other users have slow servers.

I'd like to set very short timeouts for connection to servers on the initial
attempt, so that the list gets moved through quickly regardless of slow
servers.  If the message delivery times out, I'd like it to go into the mail
spool, and for queue runs to operate with a longer timeout.

It looks like sendmail refuses to run as root if an alternate configuration
file is specified, which presumably means it can't interact with the mail
spool.  I take it that means sendmail can't do what I described in the
previous paragraph.  Is there another approach with sendmail?  Is there an
alternative mail program which will handle this particular problem better?

Andrew McNaughton