Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 06:53:12 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        gstevens@forsythemca.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from an MS-DOS partition

gstevens@forsythemca.com:
 |I'm a novice user planning to install FreeBSD from an MS-DOS partition.
 |
 |The documentation says to download as many "dists" as you like  - but how
 |do I know which ones I need and/or might want? The  FTP directories are
 |huge.  Please tell me which files I should download to perform a novice
 |installation?

To add to the other good replies you received, you only need the BIN dist.
You can always add other dists on top of your system after you install, so
you might go that route.  Of course, if you know you're going to want
manual pages for example (online help), install that dist too.  Check the
handbook for dist details.

Just load each dist off the rootdir of one of your DOS partitions under
\FREEBSD.  E.g. C:\FREEBSD\BIN.  And if you add packages later, you don't
need to mess with DOS partitions of course.

Randall