Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:02:49 -0500
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange Sendmail behaviour

 I have our main machine configured to use a new FreeBSD as a secondary MX

FreeBSD mail2.eagle.ca 4.2-BETA FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #0: Thu Nov  9 16:46:05 EST
2000     frey
mann@mail2.eagle.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYGENERIC  i386

 The main machine has an mx value of 0, and this one is 30.

 I'm not sure when it started, but all of a sudden the secondary MX machine
has started rejecteing valid email addresses on our main server. I had to
kill sendmail completely as it's preventing our users from getting mail.

 /etc/resolv.conf points back to the main server. I don't run named on the
secondary machine.

 If I nslookup main.domain I get the correct IP number. even shows
mail.domain as the nameserver.

 If I do a:

echo testing |sendmail -v support@main.host

 I get "user unknown" which is false.

 If I do:

echo testing |sendmail -v support@machine.main.host

 it works fine.

 A few other tests showed connecting to local. It's like sendmail on the
secondary machine thinks it's the main server and since those accounts don't
exist, it rejects them with user unknown.

 I had originally had Freebsd 4.1.1 stable and cvsup's up to the latest last
week. I rebooted the machine again yesterday because I was updating Apache
and it's basically since yesterday I've noticed valid email addresses being
rejected.

 Any ideas?

-Gerry