Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 95 12:39:42 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        temp@temptation.interlog.com (Temptation)
Cc:        hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem

[ ... regarding "OnTrack Disk Manager" ... ]

> No. it didn't require it. Nor did I use DM. a friend send me disk doctor.
> that data was there, but it Norton failed to retrieve it correctly. so
> it's history.

You should run pfdisk.exe from a DOS disk and report the partition
information that exists on the drive.

Many manufacturers use DM on your behalf and don't tell you about
it.

I suspect you will find a single partition (and would like to know what
type it says it is), which is the magic indicator that you had an
OnTrack Disk Manager partition on the drive.

The DM loads code in it's MBR to redirect INT 13/INT 21 by subtracting
64 sectors (to account for itself) and then translating subsequent BIOS
calls relative to the area immediately after their MBR.

Then immediately following that is the DOS MBR, which thinks it's at
0, containing your partition table written using the DM translated
geometry.

If this is the case, then all of your data is still there, and you need
another copy of the base 64 sectors, and everything will magically work
again.

The problem is that when you boot off of floppy to install BSD, the DM
code is (of course) not loaded, and you don't see the translated geometry
or the 64 sector offset.

What this would probably mean to you is that the BSD information is
offset 64 sectors into the DOS partitions end (usually not a problem
unless your drive was full under DOS, but something that should be
fixed anyway).

For anything above and beyond an explanation (like a dump of the first
64 sectors to replace those blown away, a utility to suck them off
another machine or write them to yours from a DOS booted floppy, etc.)
you will need to contact someone else who happens to have the stuff on
hand (I don't).

A fix for BSD may be partially there already (I seem to remember that it
is from the list discussions), and probably has to do with the slicer
not offseting where it writes the partition table when the DM is
detected as present (or it simply not being detected).

Note that DM is not the only utility that does this kind of crap, but
it is probably the best and most frequently (80-90%) used.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.