Date:      Sun, 1 May 2011 12:59:59 +0200
From:      claudiu vasadi <claudiu.vasadi@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hanging process

Hi guys,

I have a amd64 8.2-RELEASE box running on a core2duo 2.2 GHz Intel with 6GB
of RAM (ddr2). Earlier today I started "cvsup -g -L 2 -h `fastest_cvsup -q
-c tld` /root/cvsup/kernel-supfile" and at some point, my ISP had a problem
and my ssh connection dropped. Since that point, the server has a really low
response time ("man top" takes ~1 minute to display). Besides this, I can't
even reboot and a "shutdown -r now" halts the system with "some processes
could not be killed" message.

I manually killed the hanging ssh session and also flushed the pf state,
reloading the rules (pfctl -F all -f /etc/pf.conf) but I have the same
problem.

CTRL+T after the "reboot" cmd shows:
"load: 0.00 cmd: reboot 61080 [zilog->zl_cv_writer)] 49.39r 0.00u 0.00s 0%
1216k"
but pretty much nothing happens.

In the past, I had the same problem while running portmaster via ssh after
my initial session dropped.

It seems there is a hanging process but I cannot find it.

Any help is appreciated.

--
Best regards,
Claudiu Vasadi