Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:30:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Richman=20Sjarief?= <xrichs@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK for freeBSD ...

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Richman Sjarief wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 02:19:10 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Richman Sjarief <xrichs@yahoo.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: JDK for freeBSD ...
>
> hi,
> my name is Richman Sjarief from indonesia.
> :)
>
> i have this problem,
> i don't have any idea about JDK source for freeBSD :(
> since java.sun.com doesn't provide java for FreeBSD
> platform. A lot of people said that i should take the
> linux version but i still can't figure out about
> extracting .bin files in FreeBSD.
>
> Is it true that java JDK doesn't provide the FreeBSD
> OS version

Install the JDK via the ports collection. There are several versions of
the jdk available. It's a labor-intensive install, with some manual
downloading from Sun's site, but if you follow the instructions, it works
like a charm.

I have jdk-1.3.1 installed from the ports. For information on working with
the ports system, hit the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

it's probably available in several languages :)

> i appreciate for your help a lot ... :)
>
> best regard,
>

> Richman Sjarief

Good luck - JB